Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pursuit of Happiness

Hello All,

Alright, I admit, I usually think it is cheesy when people try and write about sports mirroring real life. It is usually trite and cliche. So consider this a waiver. I am trying to do something with this post that I have never really done before and it might suck. But it is my blog and I guess that means I can do whatever the hell I want.


For the last couple of weeks I, like most 'Canes fans, have been unhappy with the way the team has played. That is an understatement. I have been thoroughly disappointed. We got our asses handed to us by FSU and then played with our food against Duke. It has not been pretty, to say the least.


Over the last two weeks, I have also been dealing with things outside of football for the first time in a while. Last football season, I was living at home and working a stable, 9-5 job. I had no real social life to consider, so I was able to devote all of my energies to watching college football and drinking beer with my Dad. I enjoyed the hell out of it, even though some might call it "arrested development".


This year, things are different. I work three jobs, one of which requires me to wake up at 3:30 every morning. I am starting over in a new city and doing just enough to keep my head above water.


I burn both ends of the candle and spend beer money that I don't really have. It's all good and normal and healthy. Hell, I am having a fantastic time. However, it sometimes leaves me feeling like I am not putting things in their proper perspectives. Every now and then I need to take a step back and refocus.

A few weeks ago I met a girl who I actually like (notice the tense). We hit it off. As the night progressed, it came to light that the girl has a boyfriend (of course she does, Dan).

I made a decision a couple of years ago after a 2 year saga with a girl took up too much of my life and time to ever get back.

After debriefing that situation I figured out that it went bad because I dilly-dallied. I am a firm believer that people know things instinctually and quickly;essentially what Malcolm Gladwell wrote about in "Blink". In other words, I messed up and paid for it because I went against my gut. As my father once told me: "Keep It Simple Stupid".

I decided that in the future I was going to find out what I really wanted and go after it one hundred percent. I decided that I would never be able to say that I had not given it my all. I will follow my instinct and ride out the storm, because at least at the end of the day I did what I believe. It lead to me moving to Los Angeles, amongst other things.

The reason I tell you all this is because as sad as it may sound, all of the above has enetered into my thought process lately as I think about this week's game against UNC. I have drawn some paralells.


I decided long ago that the Miami Hurricanes are something I will give one hundred percent to. When they lose, it is easy to see the impact it has on me. If you need proof, look at my last three blog posts. Not my strongest work. I spent a good part of this week thinking about the 'Canes and how I felt about various subjects.

That is when I realized that none of the micro-subjects matter. All that matters is the macro. Maybe this is where I differ from most of the Miami fanbase, which I am completely turned against at this point.

In the short term, bad things happen. It is part of football.

Just like with this new girl.

One of my favorite rappers is Kid Cudi. This is one of my favorite lyrics:




I'm on the pursuit of happiness and I know,

Everything that shine ain't always
gonna be gold.


I'll be fine once I get it, I'll be good.







It tells the tale perfectly of staying enthusiastic and passionate about things even when they seem crappy. The pursuit of happiness is long, and that is why it is called a pursuit.


Sometimes the team you think is poised for a title run loses.

Sometimes the girl you hit it off with has a boyfriend.


In either case, you have to keep pushing through and let things play out. The pursuit of either is long and difficult. It is full of speed bumps. Both are going to leave you feeling miserable some days. You will wake up one day and things will be great. The next, you might wake up and feel angry at the world. The next, you might feel helpless. Passion is a great thing but can be a double edges sword. And I wouldn't trade my passionate style of living for anything.

However, no matter how hard the traverse, there is always beauty to be found. Sometimes it isn't the destination, but the journey (again, thanks Dad).

It is fun to watch a young team learn how to win through difficult times. It is fun to develop a friendship with a new person, even if ultimately your goal is bigger.

The important thing to remember is that passion is what gets you through rough times in ANYTHING, whether it is work, relationships, sports, etc. If you find yourself in a daze, you have to ask yourself if the juice is worth the squeeze. If it is not, then walk away, because there is no use in half assing something. It just leaves you unfulfilled.


After a pensive week which resulted in this blog, I am a rededicated 'Canes fan. I think Randy Shannon is the right man for this job. Even if I didn't, I would support the hell out of him until a decision was made to go in a different direction. At which point I would support the hell out of the next guy in line.

That's called being a fan. And as such, with a new lease on fanhood (sparked by, of all things, a girl), I give you my UNC preview.


QB





TJ Yates is playing very well right now. Better than Jacory. I think Jacory is going to have a great game, but there is no denying the last few weeks, in which Yates has been lights out. EDGE: UNC





RB





Damien Berry and Mike James are running like men possessed. And now the 'Canes are going to get sparks from Coop and Lamar Miller. EDGE: Miami





WR

Hankerson continues to ball out for the 'Canes, although he is dropping some easy ones. Meanwhile, LaRon Byrd is quietly emerging as the No. 2 guy. UNC is badly hurt by the loss of tight end Zach Pianalto. EDGE: Miami



OL

UNC will play with discipline as usual. Miami will not, as usual. EDGE: UNC

DL

Miami's guys are playing with fire again, while UNC's two best are done for the season. EDGE: Even

LB

UNC has Bruce Carter and Quan Sturdivant, two potential all americans. Miami has Sean Spence and a few guys whose jusgement is still waiting, including Ramon Buchannon, Colin McCarthy and the new guy in the mix, Kelvin Cain. EDGE: UNC

Secondary

Miami's guys have been ballhawking, especially Vaughn Telemaque. Brandon Harris has locked his man down as well for the 'Canes, while UNC is without its two starting corners. EDGE: Miami

Special Teams

UNC plays with more discipline here. EDGE: UNC

While Miami would seem like the favorite, Sean Spence said it best when he told reporters that UNC owns the 'Canes until Miami finally beats them. Miami is certainly capable, but they have to come out and play great football for four quarters. We will see.

Other picks:

Oregon over UCLA


LSU over Auburn


Oklahoma over Mizzou


Iowa over Wisconsin


Nebraska over Oklahoma State


Baylor over Kansas State (Upset Special)





Always guard the inbound passer.

4 comments:

  1. Dan, you're amazing. I always look forward to reading your blog and appreciate your insight into our lovely 'Canes (and life)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude... Killer post. I needed to read that this morning because it totally nailed how I'm feeling these days (about life, about the 'Canes, and otherwise). Thanks, Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. daniel evan stein, guiding the youth of america through the trials and tribulations of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive feedback!

    ReplyDelete