Thursday, October 15, 2009

If He Can Do It, Why Not Me?

Hello All,

I was pondering the other day as to how I could get this blog noticed by more people so that I could finally get picked up by ESPN and get paid to sit around, watch sports and write about it. Then it dawned on me, in the form of a text update from the New York Times (all the news print to fit).

Someone should nominate me for the Nobel Prize for Literature! I mean, who cares that I haven’t actually written a great book? We all agree that I have the potential to one day, maybe, possibly write something that will change the world, right? I don’t see any problem with this. In fact, I think that starting now I will be launching the Stein on the Sidelines for Nobel Campaign. YES WE CAN!

To get things started, I will be providing a non-partisan discourse on the upcoming Miami vs. UCF football game and sending a surge of picks in to my season total, which is deteriorating quickly.

The Golden Knights are a tough football team, there is no doubt about it. Last season, the Hurricanes made the mistake of taking them lightly and almost suffered a defeat as a result. However, it is a new season, and the Whipple Stimulus Plan has helped to stabilize what was a crumbling offensive system. Interceptions are still a problem for Jacory Harris, and UCF can be opportunistic. However, overall, the success of Jacory Harris has trickled down to the masses, and the unit as a whole has seen remarkable growth; the Union is strong.

Here is the breakdown of what should be a 2-3 score win for the ‘Canes.

Quarterback: Harris needs to cut out the interceptions but has played remarkably well thus far, getting all of his receivers involved and pushing the ball downfield early and often. Harris has been particularly effective working the middle of the field, and UCF doesn’t have the speed at safety and linebacker to take away the center third. Meanwhile, UCF’s Brett Hodges has thrown six touchdowns and six interceptions against Samford, Southern Miss, Buffalo, East Carolina and Memphis (not exactly murderer’s row). EDGE: Miami

Running Back: After Damien Berry’s breakout, Miami looks better than ever. Graig Cooper and Javarris James will be rested, Lee Chambers will be desperate to show he still belongs ahead of Berry on the depth chart, and Mike James will continue to be a multi-purpose threat. UCF’s leading rusher is Brynn Harvey, who is definitely solid but not much more. EDGE: Miami

Receiver: UCF has a guy named Rocky Ross, a personal favorite of Stein on the Sidelines. However, Miami’s strength in numbers gets the advantage. EDGE: Miami

Offensive Line: Miami’s has played well. UCF’s has not been physical enough to average more than 3.5 YPC. Against Miami’s front, the Knights will have to be better. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: Well, assuming Miami has eight guys healthy, they are more talented and have performed better. However, UCF’s Bruce Miller and Jarvis Geathers each have 4.5 sacks and could create some heartburn for Jacory. EDGE: Miami

Linebackers: Miami is just too talented here, although the loss of Jordan Futch hurts. EDGE: Miami

Secondary: This should be the game that the secondary creates multiple turnovers for the ‘Canes. It is safe to assume that the Knights will pick Harris a time or two, based on the fact that Harris throws two every game lately. EDGE: Even

Special Teams: Matt Bosher and a fleet of gifted returners gives Miami the advantage, but watch out for UCF’s Quincy McDuffie. EDGE: Miami

Coaching: Randy Shannon and staff are starting to gel and have the soft part of their schedule to tighten things up. EDGE: Miami

THIS WEEK’S GUEST

Like I said, this is one girl who can talk some football. Well this week our guest appears to have done A LOT of homework. Probably more than I did for this entrie post. I am actually a little embarassed. Ladies and gentlemen, my friend and your favorite, Rachel Russo, trying to get guest pickers off the schnide:

"First of all, I’d like to thank Dan for giving me “the highest form of praise” in his last blog entry by saying that I, a measly girl, could talk about football. Now call me old fashioned, but I’m not even that big of a fan of women in general talking about sports and I don’t really consider myself to be an exception. His complement was touching none the less. On the other hand, it also set me up for failure. Since Dan declared to all of the world that I actually “know” football I can’t guest pick this game based on who has the best looking quarterback (Josh Nesbitt over Tyrod Taylor any day) or what team colors I like the best (maroon and orange together? barf). I started to get nervous that the whole world would be judging my football assessing skills. But then I realized that the only people judging me would be the 5 or 6 of you who actually read this blog (Editor's Note: ZING!) and let’s be honest, I’m not worried about you guys ;)

Before I actually get to the whole picking thing let me just give you a little more background info. I am from the great state of Virginia, Richmond to be exact (which is much classier than Blacksburg, by the way). Approximately 25% of my graduating class went to Virginia Tech, including all but one of my good friends. Growing up in VA you are expected to stay there, if not for life, at least for college. You
can’t imagine the confused looks and questions I had to deal with when I said I was going to the University of Miami instead of an in-state school. After a summer full of hearing about how great VA Tech was going to be and attending a million maroon and orange themed parties I started my freshman year full of resentment towards anything Hokie related. As a result, there is no game I look forward to more than the yearly Miami vs. Virginia Tech match-up. During my time at the U we went 2-2 and those losses hurt deep, adding to my resentment of Virginia Tech. So even though I’m committed to rooting against VA Tech football at all times, I’m going to try to not let all that bitterness cloud my judgment. Let me know how I do…

(SIDENOTE: Is it Stein on the Sidelines, or do the people in Virginia sound obnoxious? This is two guest pickers with pretty much the same story. And here I thought that they were all like Stein on the Sidelines' personal hero, General Stonewall Jackson. Take that, preconceptions.)

Let’s get to it- I’m here to guest pick this week’s match-up between the Techs, Georgia and Virginia. This is a hugeee ACC game between what I consider to be two of the top three teams in the ACC (Miami being the other, obviously). Both teams won big games last week. VA Tech stomped on Boston College and GA Tech should still be high off of their win against FSU.
Supposedly, Virginia Tech is one of the top five teams in the country and is in the running for a national championship (I’m not buying it). I still think that the Yellow Jackets can take this one though, and here’s how: DEFENSE.

This game is going to come down to who has the better defense. GA Tech needs to step it up. Allowing 400+ yards is unacceptable to say the least. They have been plagued with injuries (but who hasn’t?) and the healthy players have had to deal with mid-season tweaking along with some position shifts. I’m hoping the necessary changes have been made and the Yellow Jackets come out looking polished and focused. That brings me to my next point…GA Tech needs to stay focused on what’s going down in Bobby Dodd at 6pm, October 24, 2009 and nothing else. If they can get past this week with a W the future looks very bright. They can’t let those thoughts distract them though from doing what needs to be done Saturday night.

In terms of offense, I’m looking for a stellar game from Jonathan Dwyer. Lord knows I love me a good running back and alongside Jahvid Best (stud) and Graig Cooper (<3), Dwyer is one of my favorites. Nesbitt has been doing an awesome job of utilizing the passing game (Editor's Note: Debatable?) and some solid connections with Demaryius Thomas, among others, would be an added bonus.

So in case you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m going with GA Tech on this one (as should any good Canes fans out there, by the way). A Georgia Tech win helps us as much as it helps them. Here’s to the Hokies first conference loss on Saturday night. If I wasn’t going to be in Orlando cheering for my boys, there is nothing else I would rather watch."

PICKS

Well, last week was a debacle in every sense of the word. I should never have started this. Anyway, I went 1-9. My upset special failed. My guest picker failed. I am just waiting on a kidney to go at this point. My season record fell to 11-20 overall and 0-4 in upset specials. So, here are the 10 picks that will get me back over .500:

Texas over Oklahoma: Colt McCoy gets his revenge and makes his Heisman statement. Plus, his eyes are dreamy.

USC over Notre Dame: Duh.

Nebraska over Texas Tech: Alphabet Suh is a beast for the Huskers and can singlehandedly create enough pressure up the middle that he can break the Red Raider scheme.

Alabama over South Carolina: I always think it is funny that when they highlight a single image for each team in ESPN promos, South Carolina’s is always their coach, Darth Visor. Not a good sign in a game this big.

Boston College over North Carolina State: BC wins this week’s coin flip in the Tom O’Brien Classic.

Wake Forest over Clemson: Clemson at noon at home a week before a possible primetime game in Miami? TRAP!

Iowa over Wisconsin: If this were at night in Camp Randle, I would say “Upset Special”. But it isn’t. And I’m not.

UPSET SPECIAL

USF over Cincinnati: The Bulls at home on Thursday night on national television are very dangerous, and Cincy needs to prove to me that they are legitimate national contenders.

So there you have it. The seems like pretty much all I need to win the Pulitzer, no? Or at least get nominated. Anyway, STEIN ON THE SIDELINES FOR THE NOBEL!

Always guard the inbound passer.

No comments:

Post a Comment