Thursday, September 16, 2010

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Hello All,

So, can we just pretend that Ohio State game didn’t happen?

That’s what I have been trying to do this week. Well, the last two days anyway. Sunday and Monday were marked by my perpetual scowl that prompted several “you sure you’re doing ok?” comments Monday morning at work. It also inspired this exchange:

Random lady (presumably my superior) walks in to the office of the guy across from me (a fellow football fan): “Hey, how was your weekend?!”

Guy across from me: “Good, the Seahawks won.”

Random lady: “Yeah, my team won too!”

Guy across from me: Cuts her off by pointing at me

Random lady: Looks at me and says “You’re a Miami guy?”

Stein on the Sidelines:

Random lady: “Well that’s too bad.”

Stein on the Sidelines:

Annnnnnd scene. This will not be in the next, updated edition of How to Win Friends and Influence People. It will also, most likely, not do wonders for my schemes to get hired on full time at this office.

But, now that the initial malaise has worn off, some thoughts from the game:

- Jacory is taking a ton of heat for this one. People are saying he has not progressed and is not the guy to take us to the promised land. I say that of the four picks, two (possibly three) were on the receivers. Additionally, the best throw he made all game was a DART to Aladrious Johnson in the end zone that the usually clutch and sure handed Johnson dropped. In total, there were 9 drops (according to Randy Shannon). That means that nine times Jacory hit a receiver in the hands and didn’t get a completion.

- Lamar Miller is the most explosive player Miami has had since Devin Hester. Oh, by the way, I called his kick return touchdown. Before the game started. Excuse me while I pat myself on the back.

- Annndddd…yep, pretty sure Harlan Gunn just jumped offside again. Alright, this is one thing that infuriated me almost above all others. I get it when Jermaine Johnson commits a bad penalty. This was his first playing time as a Miami Hurricane. That happens. However, Gunn and Joel Figueroa are in their fourth and fifth years, respectively, in the program. Gunn jumped the gun at least twice, possibly three, and Figs got called for a bad penalty too.

- The defense acquitted itself very well given that the Buckeyes’ average starting position had to have been near midfield (I have not seen the stats yet because they will only make me angry). However, take out the 3407653458734265 missed tackles and three dropped interceptions and this is a Miami route.

- Best players for the game: Jacory Harris (kidding), Miller, Sean Spence, Marcus Forston, Allen Bailey, Colin McCarthy, Brandon Harris, Brandon McGee, Damien Berry (2nd Half), Olivier Vernon’s Mohawk

- Special teams is a mixed bag. The return game is explosive and will be great to watch all year. There will be punts blocked this year. However, we have got to stop taking momentum and then giving up a big return.

- Bottom line is that this team is clearly the most talented we have had in a while but got punched in the face on the road and couldn’t strike back well enough to win. They fought all game but in the end beat themselves with penalties and poor execution. Against Duke, maybe you get away with this. Against Ohio State you lose. If the team takes this loss seriously and puts the pedal to the metal, they will be serious threats to win out, crack the top five and be in the title discussion if a few teams lose. If this loss fails to register and the team doesn’t take it to heart, then we will probably end up at 9-3 and in the Capital One Bowl as the most talented 3 loss team I have ever seen.

Quick Picks for the Week, after my dismal showing last weekend:

Gainesville Police Department over Florida
Cincy over NC State (Thanks for playing this week’s game of “Embarrassing OOC Losses”)
UGA over Arkansas
FSU over BYU
Texas over Texas Tech (Will be closer than you think)
Stanford over Wake Forest (I now appreciate the time difference excuse)
Wisconsin over (INSERT CUPCAKE HERE _____________)
Auburn over Clemson (Wraps up another strong week for the ACC)

UPSET SPECIAL

Duke over Alabama

PSYCH!

Let’s go with Washington over Nebraska. Why the hell not?

Always guard the inbound passer.

No comments:

Post a Comment