Friday, September 14, 2012

A Rambling Prose

Hello All,

Last week, I was probably GIF worthy in my anger over the 'Canes performance. Remember the face Vontae Davis made on Hard Knocks when told he had been traded for two measly Jeff Ireland draft picks?

Yep, that's the face. Jeff Ireland, ladies and gentlemen.
Yeah, that was me for about two hours after the anger abated and the alcohol kicked in.

I have learned not to write in the heat of the moment, because emotions can get the best of me.

So all I have to say is this: that was a nutless performance by the whole team, coaches included.

I understand what the coaches are doing. They have a system they want to run, and the kids they are playing now are the same kids, by and large, that will be playing for the next three years. So the thought is to put them out there and have them run the system they will be running for years; after all the best way to learn is by doing.

It is not a bad system, and when run correctly the results are great.

The problem, though, is that this team isn't there yet and I am a fan.

The program I am a fan of is one that, at its soul, is elite. It is difficult to continually be watching a "developing" team, because I have been told we are "building" for like 7 years now.

So while I stand by the coaches and understand the need for a system, I also want to have a chance at winning. And when your team is getting crushed doing the same thing over and over again, I think you need to not do that thing anymore.

For instance, our defense is softer than Charmin right now. Our d-line gets put on skates on pretty much every play, and as a result the entire scheme breaks down. Huge holes are left open as the young players struggle to maintain discipline in their zone; the result is 84 points and over 1000 yards surrendered in 2 games against less-than-elite competition.

Why not blitz? Why not pull the corners up in to man coverage and press at the line?

If you're going to lose, why not inflict as much pressure as possible on the opponent while doing it? Try to force a mistake on their part.

If the Titanic is sinking, would you rather rearrange the deck furniture or try to plug the fucking hole?

And that is what I mean by nutless. My fear is that this current regime is sacrificing this season as a learning experience.

I do not expect miracles, and I, being a rather intelligent fella, understand that you are not going to win anything major when 50-something of your 80 guys are in their first or second year on campus. K-State was an example of what happens when an experienced team plays an inexperienced team: grown men push high schoolers around.

But the high schoolers we are playing do have their strengths. That did not need to be a 39 point loss...or at least as helpless a 39 point loss as it was.

It is a weird juxtaposition these days for me. On one hand, I have the Baltimore Orioles. They are undoubtedly less talented than everyone else; they are playing Wilson Betemit for fuck's sake. And yet every night someone steps up. They find ways to win. Offense is in the shitter? Screw it, some no name pitcher will step up and get it done. Pitching had a bad night? No worries, Mark Reynolds will unveil the Hammer of God.

They fight and they claw and they scrap and most importantly, they ADAPT.

I don't think the fight has gone out of the Hurricanes, but I do know this. This morning, I woke up completely confident the Orioles will find a way to win their 82nd game tonight.

I cannot say the same about the Hurricanes.

This week we play Bethune Cookman, and to be honest, I don't think it is going to be a blowout. I think it is going to be a really close game, especially if this team keeps up the same kind of defense that we have seen so far. The players are learning, but learning does not happen overnight. We will not wake up tomorrow and have a disciplined, zone defense.

Eventually, the Miami talent should overwhelm the BCC talent. But look around the landscape of college football and understand that the margin between D1A and D1AA (or whatever they're called now) has never been smaller. This BCC team will not be afraid of Miami. I have a bad feeling in my gut about this one.

It might be that I have grown accustomed to my team going in the tank these last few years. I certainly hope at least THAT part of the program is in the rearview, even if the on field collapses are not.

But after last week, for the first time, I don't know. I will just watch the game and yell and curse and carry on like any other week; gone are the days of undying confidence.

And that is kind of sad.

-- --

Back by popular demand, the picks:

'BAMA over Arkie (+20)

No Tyler Wilson, no fucking chance.

VIRGINIA over The Wreck (-10)

I have no clue how this line got this big but remember folks: the ACC is the biggest Tire Fire there is.

NORTHWESTERN (-3.5) over BC

NERDS!!!!!!!!!!

USC over Stanford (+9)

Blowout, because the weekend that I DON'T have to hear about USC and/or UCLA winning during this shitbag season seems far, far away.

Michigan State over NOTRE DAME (-6)

Because Labia...I mean Le'Veon...Bell is too much for those little Irish suck sticks.

OLE MISS (+10) over Texas

There is no logic here. Ole Miss is Ole Miss. But I have this gut feeling that Texas ain't that good...and going on the road in the SEC is not their cup of tea. UPSET SPECIAL!

TENNESSEE (-3) over UiF

Because the next time I pick Florida to cover as a road 'dog will be the first time. Go 'Canes.

No comments:

Post a Comment